www.ipcop-forum.de

IPCop-Community
CL-Systems
Home Home   Doku Doku   Links Links   Downloads Downloads
UnIPCop Der (Un)IPCop   IFS IPCop-ForumSpy
CopTime CopTime   Galerie IPCop-Galerie   IPCop Userkarte Userkarte
Aktuelle Zeit: 23.05.2018, 16:37

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00

Ein neues Thema erstellen  Auf das Thema antworten  [ 22 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige 1 2
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Re: IPCOP descontinuado?
BeitragVerfasst: 10.03.2016, 08:35 
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ zargano

Respectfully ask you: what is the mission and the general sense of this site and this forum?
In general, the information is old and all too often lack concrete answers.
Many users have very low return. Several come, ask simply questions, do not get a real, concrete answers, or at most are 'sent' back to old documents ... those people do not write and do not participate more in the forum. It's normal (please check the median flux of the threads).
If there is interest in my humble opinion, a site that want to deal specifically with IPCOP must have two very careful updated database, the last hour:

* Compatibility hardware database
* Database software compatibility (for addon)

A forum with a couple of people who follow him very constantly, without leaving grow the questions asked by readers (I repeat: silence is our worst enemy!), Really help.
The advice to enroll in a certain mailing list (which you, as a highlight, do not follow ...), cheapens and weakens the power and responsibility to this forum!
What is the meaning of a specialized site that invites its readers to seek information elsewhere?

BeitragVerfasst: 10.03.2016, 19:43 
Chief Superintendent
Chief Superintendent

bigfatcopfan,

let me try to explain where I can. Once again: this represents my humble point of view and personal interpretation.
bigfatcopfan hat geschrieben:
Respectfully ask you: what is the mission and the general sense of this site and this forum?
The mission statement of IPCop can be found here http://www.ipcop.org/docs.php . The mission of the forum is to provide a forum where people may come together to share personal knowledge and personal experience with IPCop. At the same time specific questions are welcome. Some general understanding of Linux as well as firewalls is a prerequisite, so if you are a newbie to both, you may run into problems. At the same time I have always made the experience that asking completely "dumb" questions may sometimes result in "lifted eyebrows", but when you are willing to learn and you provide precise questions, you will definitely get help. Questions like "What is this forum good for?" may result in silence, because the people following it a while do know what it is good for. In short: read first, try to understand, then post questions.
In general, the information is old and all too often lack concrete answers.
Refer e.g. to :arrow: http://www.ipcop-forum.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=63 Assuming that you don't understand German language, this information may not be helpful for you, but it is extremely helpful at least for me.
Many users have very low return.
Probably correct, but taking this alone, it is a meaningless bit of information from my perspective.
Several come, ask simply questions, do not get a real, concrete answers,
Hmm! Perception may vary. My perception is different.
Compatibility hardware database
I agree that this section of the documentation http://www.ipcop.org/2.0.0/en/install/h ... ation.html may not be very intuitive for newbies. The most important information is this http://www.ipcop.org/2.0.0/en/install/h ... tures.html and that it is using kernel version GNU/Linux 3.4-3. The main components of such a firewall is the mainboard and the NICs. The vast majority of mainboards is supported by the kernel, and I have never had a NIC which was not supported out of the box. So actually the 386 hardware support is excellent.
Database software compatibility (for addon)
? Addon maintainer must take care for the compatibility. I think that this is a good start http://www.ipcop-forum.de/forum/viewtop ... 57&t=26035 If addons are provided for IPCop 2.x, they are compatible by definition. If you want to develop your own addon, jump e.g. to here http://www.ipcop.org/development.php
The advice to enroll in a certain mailing list (which you, as a highlight, do not follow ...), cheapens and weakens the power and responsibility to this forum!
My hint to the mailing list was intended as a reference only, if you are interested to closely follow the development. Since I neither have sufficient time nor sufficient capabilities to contribute to the IPCop development, it does not make sense for me to follow. Simple as that.

:) zargano

BeitragVerfasst: 10.03.2016, 20:13 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your time. I hope that this exchange will be of interest to other people.
I personally believe that there is not a matter of perspective 'mine' or 'yours'. I believe that a specialized site, equipped with specialized internal forum, should primarily be updated, fast, unattended. I also believe that the facts count more than words and personal opinions; I would say a fact, may be undeniable, that the site and the forum produce a formidable stagnation, a very low attendance and an unnatural drain surfers.
Look at the forum post ... removed the first three / four, the following are so old and poor of flow that you can immediately locate the very old (2011 !!) and in the first page.
About the basic knowledge, I do not think that would be interesting for our readers, but I use Linux for about four years, with satisfaction and a minimal degree of understanding (like a Cro Magnon guy). I do not think that my remarks have responsibility for LINUX or IPCOP ... the software is only the software but a site that should inform and help (and does not) and just a matter to intervene.
Since the opinions, on personal opinions, emotions and perceptions are never discussed (for good manners and respect for the time), I merely observe the current situation, and propose a sudden change of 'philosophy'. If the site wants really support users of IPCOP and those who aspire to be, it's important very seriously, that works see at the year of the Lord 2016.
That said, thank you again for your time and for what you do in favor of IPCOP, sistem I believe in and that will continue to like it, anyway.

:winken:

BeitragVerfasst: 10.03.2016, 20:50 
Chief Superintendent
Chief Superintendent

I also believe that the facts count more than words and personal opinions;
A fact is a fact is a fact, right. On the other hand opinions and perceptions on facts always vary. Based on the personal opinion and cultural background, a fact may be seen as good or as bad, or as helpful or not helpful at all.

The "problem" with this forum may be that the majority of users are native German people, so a wealth of information is provided in German language. The English section indeed cannot compete with the German part, just compare the numbers of threads (which is a fact). So I assume that your perception is stemming from the lack of English threads, where I always think about all threads. This makes a big difference.

In the past there was also an English forum available elsewhere, unfortunately I cannot find it anymore in the Internet. So this may also be part of an explanation, why you are missing more detailed (English) information.

Regards, zargano

BeitragVerfasst: 11.03.2016, 09:18 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I understand what you claim, and I find it interesting your point of view (and never forget to appreciate and thank you for your voluntary and free help to others), however, I am not in agreement with you. Intrigued by this stagnant situation, I searched the Net and I was able to observe that the general site (ipcop org), one that perhaps should be the basic site (ipocop org) is stopped to the Bronze Age. Before I sign up on this site, I made some steps to two Italian 'site' (pd ipcop it and ipcop it), subject to the Cretaceous Era, conducted with an air of evil and censorship by people who oversee, perhaps, once a five-year period!
I think that the mainly creators, founders and managers of IPCOP are fugitives respect to the project, leaving the good will of some people (like you, zargano), the daunting and perhaps impossible task of giving oxygen to something that threatens to rot.
Rest of the opinion that we need a total change of direction, a change of philosophy and pitch, keeping all respect for you and that people that working, gratis et amore Dei, do what they can, walking against the current and against the wrong direction that those responsible for IPCOP have chosen to take.

BeitragVerfasst: 21.03.2016, 17:42 
Rookie
Rookie

zargano hat geschrieben:
<snipped>

In the past there was also an English forum available elsewhere, unfortunately I cannot find it anymore in the Internet. So this may also be part of an explanation, why you are missing more detailed (English) information.

Regards, zargano

Yes , the English forum you are referring to was removed a short while ago .
So... unfortunately all the former posts went also.

Kruppt

BeitragVerfasst: 22.03.2016, 10:34 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The 'lucky' or 'unlucky' really unimportant. The information shall remain few, old or very old. Have news that a part of them has been removed, only adds bad surprise and absurd difficulties for potential new users.

Ein neues Thema erstellen  Auf das Thema antworten  [ 22 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige 1 2

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00